Manipur Public Holidays List 2023-2024 : Complete Details Available Here
Manipur Public Holidays List 2023-2024. Manipur, an idyllic state tucked away in northeastern India, is well known for its natural beauty, lively culture, and extensive customs. The landscape of Manipur is a sight to behold, with its rolling hills, lush valleys, serene lakes, and majestic waterfalls. The famous Loktak Lake, known as the “floating lake,” adds to the charm of the region. This scenic beauty makes Manipur a haven for nature enthusiasts and offers opportunities for activities like trekking, hiking, and exploring the diverse flora and fauna.
The cultural heritage of Manipur is equally captivating. The state is home to various indigenous communities, each preserving their unique customs, traditions, and languages. The classical dance form of Manipuri dance, with its graceful movements and vibrant costumes, is a prominent cultural art form. The festivals celebrated in Manipur, such as Lai Haraoba and Ningol Chakouba, showcase the vibrant traditions and religious beliefs of the people. The artistic skills of Manipur are reflected in its handicrafts and handloom products, including pottery, bamboo and cane products, and handwoven textiles. The intricate designs and vibrant colors of Manipuri textiles make them highly sought after.
|1||New Year’s Day||January 1|
|2||Republic Day||January 26|
|4||Good Friday||Date varies|
|5||Cheiraoba (Manipuri New Year)||Date varies|
|6||Labour Day||May 1|
|7||Id-ul-Fitr (Ramadan)||Date varies|
|8||Patriots’ Day||August 13|
|9||Independence Day||August 15|
|10||Ganesh Chaturthi||Date varies|
|12||Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti||October 2|
|13||Durga Puja||Date varies|
|15||Diwali (Deepavali)||Date varies|
|16||Guru Nanak Jayanti||Date varies|
|17||Christmas Day||December 25|
Here are some important festivals celebrated in Manipur:
- Lai Haraoba: Lai Haraoba is a significant festival in Manipur that combines religious and cultural elements. It celebrates the deities of the Manipuri folklore and mythology. The festival involves colorful processions, traditional dances, music, and rituals.
- Ningol Chakouba: Ningol Chakouba is a unique festival celebrated in Manipur that honors the bond between brothers and sisters. On this day, married women visit their parental homes, and brothers present gifts and delicacies to their sisters. It promotes family unity and strengthens relationships.
- Kang Chingba: Kang Chingba is a major cultural festival celebrated by the Manipuri community. It showcases various forms of traditional performing arts, including dance, music, and theatrical performances. The festival is an opportunity for artists to showcase their talents and for the community to come together in celebration.
- Cheiraoba: The Manipuri New Year is observed with great fervor on Cheiraoba. It falls in the month of April and is a time for people to clean their homes, decorate them with flowers, and prepare special dishes. The festival is also associated with prayers for prosperity and well-being in the coming year.
- Yaoshang: Yaoshang is a colorful and joyous festival celebrated in Manipur, often referred to as the “Festival of Colors.” It is similar to the festival of Holi and involves playful activities like throwing colored powders and water at each other. There are also cultural performances, music, and traditional sports like the Thabal Chongba dance.
|Official Website||Click Here|
Q: What is the significance of Lai Haraoba festival in Manipur?
A: Lai Haraoba is an important festival in Manipur that celebrates the deities of the Manipuri folklore and mythology. It holds religious and cultural significance, bringing the community together through vibrant processions, traditional dances, music, and rituals.
Q: When is Ningol Chakouba celebrated in Manipur?
A: Ningol Chakouba is celebrated in Manipur on a specific day in the Manipuri lunar month of Hiyangei (October-November). It is a festival that emphasizes the bond between brothers and sisters, with married women visiting their parental homes and brothers presenting gifts to their sisters.
Q: What is the highlight of Kang Chingba festival in Manipur?
A: Kang Chingba is a cultural festival in Manipur that showcases various forms of traditional performing arts, including dance, music, and theatrical performances. It provides a platform for artists to display their talents and is a joyous celebration of the rich cultural heritage of Manipur.
Q: How is Cheiraoba celebrated in Manipur?
A: Cheiraoba is the Manipuri New Year celebration, and it involves cleaning homes, decorating them with flowers, and preparing special dishes. It is a time for prayers and seeking blessings for prosperity and well-being in the coming year.
Q: What is the significance of Yaoshang festival in Manipur?
A: Yaoshang, also known as the “Festival of Colors,” is a joyous celebration in Manipur. It involves playful activities such as throwing colored powders and water at each other, similar to the festival of Holi. Cultural performances, music, and traditional sports like the Thabal Chongba dance are also part of the festival.